Education in schools over sports

The last this that I want to convey with these opinions of mine is that I am vehemently opposed to the way schools operate these days. Rather I want to convey the message that I feel schools could do better with the limited resources they have with less governmental red-tape and bureaucratic nonsense. In the case that I am about to mention I feel that schools could better allocate their fund where there is limited governmental hindrance and more popular hindrance; school sponsored organized sports teams.

If you look at the cost of a football uniform, the field, stands, upkeep of the field, etc., the costs can be staggering. All those costs are generally incurred by the school district at the expense of classroom education. Please don’t get me wrong, I love football and to me there is nothing purer than students who get nothing for their commitment (unlike college and professional teams) like high school football. I even played football, and wrestled and threw the shot put, but should so much be sacrificed for the enjoyment?

I look at education, not sports, as the only true stepping stone to a successful future. I also believe that education needs to be given every opportunity to be the biggest success. I don’t advocate the omission of organized sports altogether rather I feel that they should be treated as optional extra-curricular activities with a cost to the participants. Simply put, make those who play, pay.

Ed U. Cayshun

No comments: